National Councils for Sustainable Development Workshop at HLPF 2019
On 8 July 2019, the day before the July 2019 High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development meeting at the United Nations in New York, Stakeholder Forum for a Sustainable Future, on behalf of the German Council for Sustainable Development (RNE), and co-sponsored by UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), convened a one-day workshop for representatives from established National Councils for Sustainable Development and other types of multi-stakeholder platforms at global, national and sub-national levels, as well as some Governments who have multi-stakeholder platforms.
The workshop aimed to:
- Initiate a global dialogue to exchange experiences, lessons learned, identify good practice, and reveal gaps in cross-sectoral and cross-governance exchange that could be more effectively addressed by councils and platforms at all levels; and
- Assess how National Councils for Sustainable Development and other types of multi-stakeholder platforms can help countries and governments deliver the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
In addition, participants considered the presentation of a Global Forum of National Councils for Sustainable Development and other similar multistakeholder bodies at the SDG Summit in September 2019. In support of this idea, the workshop organizers aimed to determine whether there is sufficient interest in such a platform on the part of the UN Member States and other stakeholders.
Some of the presentations and supporting narrative from the day can be found below, and the workshop report will be posted soon.
- Session 2 No. 1 – Niestroy Setting the Scene Written Comments
- Session 2 No. 1 – Niestroy Setting the Scene
- Session 3 No. 1 – Bachmann (Web Version)
- Session 3 No. 2 – Bjorkbacka Written Comments
- Session 3 No. 2 – Bjorkbacka
- Session 3 No. 4 – Hamouda
- Session 4 No. 1 – Jorge Fernandez Basque Government Sustainability Bond
- Session 4 No. 2 – R van Hemmen The Role of Technology Written Comments
- Session 4 No. 2 – R van Hemmen The Role of Technology
- Session 4 No. 3 – F Morgado The Industry Perspective
- Session 4 No. 4 – Perucci The Data Revolution