Stakeholder Forum played a critical role in advocating for an Earth Summit in 2012, which took place in June 2012. Stakeholder Forum played a key co-ordinating role in at the crucial policy event.
Earth Summit 2012 was hosted by the government of Brazil. The key themes are:
- Green Economy – in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication
- Institutional Framework for Sustainable Development – including Global Environmental Governance
- Emerging Issues – critical issues that should be incorporated into the sustainable development agenda
- Review of existing commitments – looking at the progress made over the past twenty years.
Stakeholder Forum played a critical role in generating support for an Earth Summit in 2012, organising a series formal and informal meetings, multi-stakeholder and governmental workshops to provide a space for discussion and exchange on the possible focus of an Earth Summit. Stakeholder Forum’s original multi-stakeholder workshop on Earth Summit 2012, held in San Sebastian, resulted in the Donostia Declaration which outlined the case for a Summit as well as providing recommendations of focus areas.
More information on Stakeholder Forum’s activities, as well as other milestone developments for the Earth Summit are available at www.earthsummit2012.org. This website was the online home for civil society and stakeholder engagement with the Summit.
LINKS AND DOWNLOADS
- Rio+20 Outcome Document - the Future We Want
- Earth Summit Website
- Donostia Declaration
- UN GA Resolution